The Flutterby Room

I'm a book blogger at http://theflutterbyroom.com and have been for the past couple of years. I thought I would give this site a try.

Review: Lover Eternal

Lover Eternal - J.R. Ward

LOVER ETERNAL is the second book in J. R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood. This book takes place after DARK LOVER, the first book in the series, and the focus of the book shifts to a new member of the brotherhood – Rhage. Rhage has been cursed; forced to unleash and possessed by his dark side he is a danger to everyone around him. Mary faces her own curse, as her world threatens to come tumbling down around her.

If you are looking for a book/series with a unique take on things within the paranormal romance genre, then it would be fair to say that the Black Dagger Brotherhood is probably not the series for you. Having said that, despite the book’s predictability it is a really enjoyable and engrossing read. There is just something compelling about the world Ward creates, and the characters that inhabit it.

We first meet Rhage in DARK LOVER, where he is a background character. In LOVER ETERNAL he takes centre stage. I found Rhage a very interesting character as he is very conflicted: he is at once both resigned to his curse and terrified by it. The brotherhood is also horrified by it. Despite this, he is close to the other five members. Mary too is resigned to her life, but her resignation is calmer – she knows the path in front of her. To begin with I wasn’t too sure about the chemistry between the main characters, but as the story progressed I found myself thinking it worked.

The main plot of the book is, of course, the romance between Rhage and Mary – the will-they-won’t-they. Ward also weaves in the thread about the rise of the ‘lessers’, started in the first book, which helped tie the two books together for me. Whilst I enjoyed the main plot, I found the secondary plot a fascinating read – it was interesting to learn more about the ‘lessers’ and how they worked. It also served to create a tension in the book, like the calm before the storm which hopefully will lead to some intriguing future books.

Originally posted on The Flutterby Room.

Source: http://theflutterbyroom.com/2015/06/11/review-lover-eternal-by-j-r-ward