The Flutterby Room

I'm a book blogger at http://theflutterbyroom.com and have been for the past couple of years. I thought I would give this site a try.

Review: Rock Courtship

Rock Courtship - Nalini Singh

ROCK COURTSHIP is the first novella in the ROCK KISS series by Nalini Singh. It is a companion story to the first book in the series ROCK ADDICTION, and it tells the story of Thea and David. David has been interested in Thea for a while, but first she had a boyfriend and wasn’t interested in anyone else and then he broke her heart. David has been patient, but maybe now it’s time for him to make a move.

Having read ROCK ADDICTION I was really curious to see what a novella would add to the series, and it left me a little disappointed. Part of that was no doubt due to the fact that I knew how the novella would end pretty much – it’s very obvious from the glimpses of the two characters you get in ROCK ADDICTION – and I think part of it was down to the fact it felt to me like there was more of a story Singh could have told: I would have liked to have had Thea’s ex exist on the page for a while, I’d also have liked to see Thea and David interact with the band a bit more. The story felt a bit bare, and I’d have just liked a little more meat to it.

Having said that, ROCK COURTSHIP was an enjoyable read – and a quick one too. I really liked the fact that Singh gave voice to a relationship that is only hinted at in ROCK ADDICTION – I think it deserved to take central stage. Watching Thea and David dance around one another – with the memos especially – was brilliant, and quite funny too. They are both really strong characters, and quite similar – their relationship seems like a fairly equal one, even with their scars. I also really enjoyed the scenes where Thea talks to her mother, and the relationships both of the main characters have with their families. If you enjoyed the first book in the ROCK KISS series, then you will enjoy this one too.

Originally posted on The Flutterby Room.

Source: http://theflutterbyroom.com/2015/02/19/review-rock-courtship-by-nalini-singh