The Flutterby Room

I'm a book blogger at http://theflutterbyroom.com and have been for the past couple of years. I thought I would give this site a try.

Review: Night Broken

Night Broken  - Patricia Briggs

NIGHT BROKEN is the eighth book in Patricia Briggs’ MERCY THOMPSON series, which follows the life of Mercy Thompson mechanic and skin walker as she tries to find her place in the world. In the eighth book Mercy has to deal with the return of Christy, Adam’s ex-wife, and the dangerous threat following in her wake…

NIGHT BROKEN was exactly what I have come to expect from a MERCY THOMPSON novel – an engrossing plot and subplots, great characters, lots of twists and revelations, and an utterly entertaining read. My only slight gripe with the eighth book is that I would have liked more of it, because the wrapping up of the story seemed a little abrupt to me. Briggs did a great job of tying up most of the loose ends, and I suspect that the ones that weren’t will be resolved in future books.

The main plot of NIGHT BROKEN focused on the return of Christy and the trouble she brought in her wake. This is I believe the first time that Christy has appeared on centre stage in the series, she has been mentioned before in previous books – from which we know that Mercy has had some dealings with her before. I really enjoyed the way Briggs had Mercy handle the return of Adam’s ex-wife and the trouble and strife she caused. It showed, in my opinion, a lot of strength and restraint on Mercy’s part – I don’t think I would have been able to handle it half as well as she did, especially as Christy managed to manipulate things to her advantage.

The plot focusing on the trouble Christy brought in her wake was a brilliantly complex and twisty one that I enjoyed seeing to a conclusion, especially as it wasn’t something that was easily defeated. Briggs also brought in a lot of subplots which were really kind of cool, to see play out on the page. I especially loved the return of several characters which all caused trouble for Mercy in their own charming ways.

NIGHT BROKEN was a brilliant addition to the MERCY THOMPSON series and I adored reading it. If you haven’t stumbled across this series yet, and you are a fan of paranormal romance and urban fantasy then you are missing out! If you are a fan of the series and haven’t got to this book yet, then what are you waiting for?!

Originally posted on The Flutterby Room.

Source: http://theflutterbyroom.com/2014/10/09/review-night-broken-by-patricia-briggs